It has taken me awhile to write about this past Saturday’s competition. Part of me is still recovering physically and mentally and another part of me is still frozen with awe.
On Saturday, April 19th, CrossFit Askal participated in the inaugural Battleground South Bay: Benefitting Train 4 Autism. CrossFit boxes all over the South Bay (and as far as South Gate and Woodland Hills) gathered for this beginner friendly fundraiser competition. Together we raised close to $6,000.
This day was a day of many firsts for me. It was the first time I had helped organize a competition. It was my first time organizing a fundraiser of this magnitude. To top it all off, it was my first time coaching and preparing athletes for a crossfit competition.
Words cannot describe how extremely proud, happy and overwhelming thankful I am to be surrounded by such a talented, hardworking, and supportive community. I, along with my fellow organizers, could not even believe this event sold out.
To our volunteers, thank you so so much for all of your patience and hard work. Perla and Detrick held down the fort at the athlete/volunteer/heat check in. Alicia and Debbie hustled like crazy to set and reset equipment after each heat and workout. Not to mention the dozens of other volunteers who assisted and judged.
To our competitors: Gaby, Mayra, Dana, Noemi, Joelle, Christian, Chris, Raul, Nick, Miguel and Ben… I am extremely proud of each and every one of you. For most of you, it was your first competition and I could not be more proud. To have the courage to sign up for your first competition, put in work and go through with it is quite a feat and took courage and hard work. You, along with the rest of CrossFit Askal, motivate me everyday to be a better athlete, coach, and overall person. Congrats to you all.
A few more highlights:
- The event was completely sold out with a total of 148 competitors.
- CrossFit Askal had the most athletes on the podium: Mayra (1st –intermediate), Joelle (2nd -beginner), Gaby (1st -beginner), Chris (2nd -beginner) and Raul (3rd– intermediate).
- Not only did Gaby PR successfully complete the deadlift ladder, she placed first in the event AND she PR her 3 rep max by 10lbs!
- Jojo finished second in workout 1.
- Dana placed third in workout 2.
- Mayra placed first in BOTH workout 1 and 2.
- This was Coach Ben’s first competition since his ACL surgery.
We are already looking forward to hosting next year’s event and have already begun planning. If you would like to help coordinate, please contact me at email@example.com
If you attended or participated in Battleground South Bay and would like to share your experience, please let us know!
Thank you all again and keep up the hard work!
– Coach A